Monday, June 2, 2014

Book post: Here comes Mother Goose

Here Comes Mother Goose
Book cover from Candlewick Press

Opie, I. (Ed.). (1999). Here comes Mother Goose. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick Press.


This book is a collection of Mother Goose songs and rhymes. Many of them are fairly obscure. I feel like I know a lot of nursery rhymes because my mom taught them to me at a young age and I had many Mother Goose types of books when I was younger, and my daughter has some now, but I didn't recognize a great deal of these. I suppose this speaks to the fact that the editor did a lot of digging to find them for this compilation, but I thought it was just too many. The book is over one hundred pages, which is daunting for a child. My daughter definitely wouldn't sit through a reading of this book, since it is not a continuous story. It is more of a skimmable (flip through and randomly find something to read) kind of book. The illustrations, done by Rosemary Wells, are adorable, though. I even recognized her characters Max and Ruby, or rabbits that look just like them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment