Saturday, June 7, 2014

My First Infographic

Here's my first effort at creating an infographic.  It took me a very long time to decide on my subject, but then learning the tools was fairly easy. Piktochart is a great site for creating infographics! I use Goodreads for keeping track of my reading, so finding my reading numbers for the statistics was easy too! Here's the link to see it bigger: Books I Read. I would definitely use Piktochart for teaching infographics to students. I think I would make sure to discuss with them the importance of keeping things simple and uncluttered, with more pictures and facts than words, and leaving some white space (or in the case of this one, black space). Letting the charts speak mostly for themselves is important as well. For my infographic, I left out numbers on the charts as much as possible, and used numbers to depict other aspects that weren't in charts. Students definitely need some guidance when it comes to making aesthetically appealing presentations. Remember: less is more.

5 comments:

  1. This looks great, Tara! Not surprisingly, you have such an artistic eye! I had a hard time deciding on a subject as well, and I think your topic would be a fun one for students to keep track of and report on for themselves. Perhaps tied toward their reading goal for the year? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne! When I looked at your infographic, it reminded me that I forgot to mention what I wanted to remember to teach students about infographics, so I edited my post a bit. I think the idea of tying it to their reading goals would be awesome. Then maybe I could give them a template to start with for creating their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that black background was a great choice! I like the idea of student's making these for their own goals. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your infographic looks fabulous! I love the idea and the comments by Anne about linking it to their reading goals! I might have to try this too. I really liked piktograph...it's user friendly and fun. Looks like students across the Next Gen regions will have a lot of fun assignments next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your infographic! I like the color choices and I think students would love to create these based on their reading goals!

    ReplyDelete