Sunday, June 15, 2014

Creating a Library Website

In looking at some Free Tools for Creating Websites, I was considering what would be the best platform for me to create my sample library website. There are many great options to consider, but I think I will be going with a Google Site because my school system already uses Google mail and apps, so this would be the best to seamlessly integrate into many of the tools we are already using. However, I also know that my school system doesn't use Google Sites for their webpages. Maybe my site can persuade some librarians or teachers to change their minds about their hosting site! 


I found these library webpages that I am going to use as examples when I start working on mine:


  • Brookline High School Library: This one is a Weebly, and I love the look of it. It is so clean, and I like their scrolling pictures (including their mission statement!) and their embedded content. It is easy to navigate and has a lot of good ideas that I want to use, such as the slideshow of teachers' reading choices and the Padlet collaborative question.
  • La Salle Prep Library: They use a Google Site, so it is probably more representative of what I will be working with. I love the side navigation and how it links to classroom resources for every subject. They have several ideas that I really like, such as the "Library in Your Pocket" app suggestions (with embedded QR code) and the "got books?" page for students to request new books.
With so many creative librarians out there, I feel that I have a high goal to aspire to in creating my website, but seeing some of the great examples and variety of content out there is inspiring me. I'm excited to get started! I'll be posting a first attempt at my main page this week.

4 comments:

  1. You are right, there are lots of creative librarians out there! I hope to eventually be a part of that. Thanks for posting some examples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am probably going to go with Google Site, because my school system uses Google already as well. I think some of the other sites looked interesting and could have been good choices, too. I bet we will find that several in our group will choose Google Site for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Brookline site and I've been using it as a guide while creating my own. Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you gave an example of the two you were considering. I had a hard time finding a Google site that I connected with - the one you featured has a nice layout.

    ReplyDelete