Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Podcasts for the Classroom

InformED recommends these 50 Educational Podcasts, and I checked out a lot of them, but my main purpose was looking for something I could actually have students listen to in the classroom. To that end, I like Grammar Girl and How Stuff Works.  Grammar Girl has many interesting English topics included, although many of her "Quick and Dirty Tips" would be too advanced for many of my students to follow. I am a long-time fan of How Stuff Works, both the articles and the podcasts, particularly Stuff You Should Know, which has a wide variety of general topics, Stuff Mom Never Told You, which covers women's and gender issues, and Stuff You Missed in History Class, which specializes in all things historical. Some of these are not always classroom appropriate, so I would suggest listening to them ahead of time to anyone planning on using them for class. For my own professional use, I like LitTech as well. It discusses educational issues centering on literature, libraries, and technology. 

2 comments:

  1. I love How Stuff Works also - there is a new podcast about adults reading YA fiction titles on Stuff Mom Never Told You. That is certainly me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've downloaded it but haven't listened yet. I was excited when I saw that that was their summer reading special. That is me, too!

    ReplyDelete