Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Book post: A Ball for Daisy

A Ball for Daisy
Book cover from Random House
Raschka, C. (2011). A ball for Daisy. New York, NY: Schwartz and Wade Books.

*Winner of the 2012 Caldecott Medal*

Daisy is a playful puppy who loves her red ball.  An accident happens when she is playing with friends, which makes Daisy sad until her friends come through for her.  This is a great book for teaching inferences because it is completely wordless.  Children can infer Daisy's feelings as she experiences a day with and without her red ball.  My two-year-old daughter loved reading this book together, and then telling me the story herself.  It is a heartwarming story of dealing with loss and having supportive friends from a puppy's point of view.

2 comments:

  1. This book reminds me of the book Ball by Mary Sullivan that I read and posted about. I love dog books! I also really like the looks of your blog. You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Ball is a good one too. I have read it before but don't have a copy to do a review on. Maybe I will need to search for it again at the library.

    ReplyDelete