Friday, May 23, 2014

Book post: The Lion and the Mouse

Book cover from Little, Brown, and Company
Pinkney, Jerry. (2009). The lion and the mouse. New York, NY: Little, Brown, and Company.

*Winner of the 2010 Caldecott Medal*

This beautifully illustrated book takes the reader through the fable of the king of the jungle and a lowly mouse.  The lion spares the mouse's life, only to be saved by the mouse later in the story.  With the extreme details of the paintings, and the natural color landscapes, the African savanna comes to life.  I love that the only words in the book are onomatopoeia.  This would be a great book to introduce young readers to the idea of onomatopoeia, or to discuss the benefits of being kind to others--even those who you may think don't deserve kindness.  For a nearly-wordless book, I spent an inordinate amount of time gazing at the artwork and contemplating the emotions of the animals, and it was well worth the time.

2 comments:

  1. This is one my top three contenders in the Caldecott selections. I love the emotion conveyed through the animals' eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it as well. It just missed making my top 3.

    ReplyDelete